Monday 27 August 2012

Getting my feet wet - so to speak!

Getting Started with a BLOG
&
Recipe for Pickled Beets

Jax (my granddaughter) has talked me into doing a gardening blog - I am brand new to "blogging" so bear with me if I screw up - please...

I guess the idea of "Gardening with Gramps" came about due to Jax & I talking about our gardens.  She thought I could pass along ideas to other people  through this blog, so I will do my best.

Please keep in mind that I live on Vancouver Island (banana belt) where it is usually warmer and wetter than in Hinton or the prairies.  Some things done here will likely have to be done differently where you are.


*  *  *

Today, August 27, 2012, I found out Jax has "inherited" a supply of beets, and they are "cylinder beets".  These often have other names like "Formanova" and others but the shape is very distinctive.


These beets don't get as large in diameter as normal "globe" type beets and may be a bit milder in flavour but they are excellent for slicing for pickles.  It is simple to have beet pickle slices all nice size rather than trying to cut a very large globe beet into chunks.  

For anyone interested in pickling beets, it is quite simple and does not require a lot of fancy expensive ingredients. Below is a recipe passed down from my grandparents


                                                PICKLED BEETS


INGREDIENTS
                                                            1 cup sugar
                                                            1 cup vinegar


INSTRUCTIONS
Boil beets until tender.  Peel & cut into slices or chunks & put in Jars.  Pour liquid over.  Put one slice of onion on top and then seal.


OR: try only 1/2 cup sugar to see if that is what you prefer.


The above recipe provided by Granny (Edith) and Grandpa (Albert) Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment